Monday 10 December 2012

Evaluation Question 1 DRAFT - Jack M

EVALUATION 1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My media product challenges and uses forms and conventions of real media products, especially within the final music video. As bands of a similar genre typically stick to a performance video, we chose to do the same, this is because it is an effective way of conveying energy and outrageous behaviour, which is something the rock genre is noted for. The way in which we used conventions of videos are most notably with the fast cuts and moving shots I used, I included zoom shots, track shots and pan shots within the video to create the energetic feel that my music video needed. Examples of this are found in the video for the song we chose 'Zzzonked' by Enter Shikari, as the video for that is solely performance and includes very fast cuts. Another way we used a real product to influence ours is through the use of the black and white colours, as again the video for Zzzonked is in black and white, however i have found that this is quite rare for a rock performance video as they are usually in colour, such as the video for 'Song 2' by Blur. The decision to make our video in black and white was to stop our video looking budget as I found it hard to create an effectiver frame using our clothes and the minimal lighting we had available. Another way my music video uses convenions of real music products is the mise en scene of the room we filmed in, as its size is very small it makes the video claustrophobic, also the walls are very plain. Examples of a small simple room are in the video for Paramore's 'Ignorance' and for Hawk Eyes 'Kiss This' video. These are both similar styled videos with similar genres. I think that the decision to film in this room was very good as it made our video look more realistic and impressive, especially as it significantly keeps in with the genre of our music. The inclusion of slight humour within the video actually challenges the conventions of real media products, as in nearly all rock performance videos the band looks quite serious and maybe try to convey a sense of anger within their music, especially within the heavier forms of rock. However we wanted to challenge this as we belive music isnt meant to be that serious and we thought it would be a good idea to speak out to our target audience using humour, this is why shots with funny faces are included. My Digipak and poster also fit in with the conventions of real media products, I took a real inspiration from the Album cover i analysed in my research and planning (Every Time I Die - Ex Lives). As this uses a bright pink 'I' that stands out from the hectic background, i really like this use of a logo as it represents the band effectively in a simple way. This is why I used the crystal idea, as i wanted to create a little logo or image that can represent the band, I used this in the centre of my poster and in the corner of my digipak. I think this worked well and am happy with the outcome. I also this crystal across the digipak and poster to really press this logo upon my target audience, as once a band uses a log it often sticks with them throughout their career, it also allows fans to represent their band i.e. through merchandise (t-shirts etc.)

1 comment:

  1. theorists - refer to
    use tubechop/still images to illustrate your points in final evaluation
    connotations of crystal and colours used

    ReplyDelete