Monday 10 December 2012

Evaluation Question 2 DRAFT - Jack M

EVALUATION 2. How Effective is the Combination of Your Main Product and Ancillary Texts?

I think that the combination of my products are very effective throughout all three texts, as i think i have created a brand image for my created band that fits in with similar real life artists today. Using the same font (hunter squared, from dafont.com) throughout my Digipak and Poster has allowed me to create an effective image for the band, this is also backed up by the use of the same background image within both of my ancillary tasks. Also using the crystal logo has allowed me to create a noticable image that will be recognisable for a band with a large fanbase, this is a common technique that is seen in large rock bands today, for example Enter Shikari use an upside down triangle as their band logo. This sense of branding is used to represent the band and for the fan base of the band to recognise the certain images and logos used. For example the fans of a certain band will feel good wearing clothing with certain logo's on as it would allow them to feel part of the bands fan base which, especially young people, take a lot of pride in. I used the fire in the background of my poster and Digipak to convey a sense of outrage and anarchy, this fits in with he genre of music in the video. I chose to do this so I could combine the fire image and the way the band act in the music video, as they are jumping around and hitting the floor etc. so it fits in with this sense of destruction and anger, so i wanted this message to be conveyed throughout my 3 products. A good way in which i have combined my main product and ancillary texts is by using a 'space' related theme, as i use what look like alien text on my Digipak, this also relates to the band name 'Mothership', which then relates to the style of song we chose, as it has electronic influence and uses synthesisers to create a space-type feel. These all combine to create a good image of the bands style of music, as the audience will generate an alien and space idea of the band.  I chose not to include any shots of space or any spaceships (mothership) in my product as i thought this would be too cliche and I wanted to be more subtle with this style and image i was try to convey. I also thought this would make the band look quite childish and amateur as it is common for bands within the same genre to have a totally unrelated name to their style of music or their image they give off.
Using 'Havoc Records' as the record label for Mothership has given the band a sense of realism and professionalism. Taking influence from the current label 'Hassle Records' I created this label to give the band another aspect of branding, as the logo i created is featured on both the poster and digipak, i think this has worked well and helps my products to fit in with products that are already on the market. However, if i were to add anything to my final product i think that adding the Havoc Records logo at the end of the video would complete this sense of branding. Many bands do this, however it seems to be only the smaller bands that have their record label at the end of their videos as maybe they need more recognition and want to be advertised to the public more. As you can see there is a correlation between the black and white of the music video and of the panel in the Digipak, this also shows the way in which i have used a combination of syles in each of my products to create a sense of branding.

1 comment:

  1. -a few spelling errors in final 4 sentences- spell check in word and copy and paste to help
    -comment on use of fonts and the names of fonts across products
    -screen grabs, images and clips will help to illustrate in your final version of this

    ReplyDelete